- are courses in Finnish language or culture
- are intensive on-site courses, online courses, or blended courses (including both on-site and online instruction periods)
- complement teaching in the host universities
- fit into students' study programs and university degree requirements
- are normally held in Finnish (or exceptionally in another language when appropriate)
The purpose of lecture visits is also to promote networking among Finnish and international university teachers and researchers.
Topics of guest lectures
The receiving university itself proposes the topic of the lecture visit according to its own needs. The lecture visit should complement the existing teaching. It is not appropriate to request a course that the university's own teachers could provide.
Lecture visits have been related to subjects such as the Finnish language, Finnish literature, translation, cultural history, the Sámi language, and Sámi culture, for example.
The format and duration of the lecture visit
- 5 days of instruction (Mon-Fri) + travel days, which fall on weekends.
- 12-20 hours of lecture instruction (with each lecture lasting 45 minutes).
- up to 20 hours of instruction (with each instructional hour lasting 45 minutes)
- it can also be held for students from two or more universities if the number of students allows (preferably indicated during the application phase)
- the lessons can be divided, for example, between two lecturers
- the teaching hours are scheduled in a way that is convenient and suitable for both the visiting instructor and the university
- it includes both on-site and online instruction periods, which means 5 days with a minimum of 12 hours of on-site instruction and up to 8 hours of online instruction, totaling a maximum of 20 instructional hours