Scholarships are awarded for post-graduate studies or research in a Finnish university or a relevant research centre. The field of research can be Finnish language, Finno-Ugric languages, Finnish literature or a subject related to Finnish culture.
The maximum scholarship period is 12 months, which can be split into several shorter periods.
The scholarship amount is €1,500/month. There is no separate grant for travel or other costs.
The receiving department in Finland will host the scholarship holder and provide them with working facilities and equipment and supervise their research. The host will also take care of all practical arrangements, such as entry into the country, welcome and reservations for accommodation.
How to apply for the scholarship?
The host university or research centre in Finland will apply for the scholarship.
Post-graduate student or researcher
Contact the host department in Finland in good time before submitting the application. Send all required annexes to the application to the host department in Finnish or in English:
- research plan (2-3 pages: introduction, goals, work plan, methods, expected results)
- recommendation by research supervisor (from home university)
- CV, including, among other things, information about previous studies, publications, and previous visits to Finland
- a copy of your degree certificate.
We need your personal information for the scholarship selection process only. It will not be given to anybody else.
Finnish host department
A host department in Finland can also initiate cooperation and a scholarship application.
Send the above annexes and the application together with a justification for the scholarship. The justification should include
- a description about the significance of the cooperation to the department
- a description about the background for the cooperation
- an explanation of how the department is committed to the project
- information about any possible financial commitment by the host department to the project.
Please send the application form with required annexes to firstname.lastname@example.org. Write ”Scholarships for post-graduate students and researchers of Finnish language" in the subject field.
There are two application deadlines per year:
- the first application deadline is 30 April
- the second application deadline is 31 October
Late applications will not be considered.
Selection process and payment of the scholarship
The Advisory Group for Finnish Studies at Universities Abroad will provide their comments on applications. The selection decision will be sent to the applicant host department and a copy to the post-graduate student or researcher.
The scholarship is awarded to the host department that will pay it to the scholarship holder and invoice EDUFI afterwards. The invoice should be sent at the latest one month after the end of the scholarship period. If the scholarship period extends over the end of a year, the department should send separate invoices for each year.