The objectives of Erasmus+ virtual exchanges programme are to
- encourage intercultural dialogue between EU Member States as well as European third countries associated to Erasmus+ and third countries not associated to the Programme, and foster tolerance through people-to-people interaction based on digital and youth friendly technologies.
- promote different types of virtual exchanges to supplement the physical mobility in the Erasmus+ programme so that more young people have access to intercultural and international experiences.
- develop critical thinking and media literacy especially in the use of the internet and the social media to prevent discrimination, indoctrination, polarisation and violent radicalisation.
- promote the development of digital and soft skills, including the practice of foreign languages and teamwork, among students, young people and youth workers especially to improve employability.
- promote citizenship and the shared values of freedom, tolerance and non-discrimination through education.
- strengthen the youth dimension in the EU’s relationships with third countries.
A bottom-up approach is used in Erasmus+ virtual exchanges. The participating organisations are free to choose the topic(s) on which the project will focus. However, the project application must indicate the expected outcomes of the project in relation to the objectives listed above.