IGAD Djibouti, Djibouti
Paikkaa voivat hakea maisterivaiheen opiskelijat sekä maisteriohjelmasta vastavalmistuneet.
6 kk, harjoittelun tarkka ajankohta sovitaan työnantajan kanssa. Aloitus tammikuun lopulla tai helmikuun alkupuolella 2020.
Hakemus ja kaikki liitteet (motivaatiokirje, CV ja opintorekisteriote) englanniksi.
Paikkakuvaus: Intern, IGAD Gender Programme
Title: IGAD Secretariat, Djibouti
Reporting to: Programme Manager Gender Affairs
Percentage of Time to Work: 100%
Job Location: IGAD Secretariat, Djibouti
The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) is a Regional Economic Community with a membership of eight countries in Africa namely- Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan and Uganda. The Secretariat of IGAD is located in Djibouti. The aims and objectives of IGAD as stipulated in the establishing Agreement include the following:
• Promote joint development strategies and gradually harmonize macro-economic policies and programmes in the social, technological and scientific fields;
• Harmonize policies with regard to trade, customs, transport, communications, agriculture, and natural resources and environment, and promote free movement of goods, services, and people within the region.
• Create an enabling environment for foreign, cross-border and domestic trade and investment;
• Initiate and promote programmes and projects to achieve regional food security and sustainable development of natural resources and environmental protection, and encourage and assist efforts of member states to collectively combat drought and other natural and man-made disasters and their consequences;
• transport, telecommunications and energy in the region;
• Promote peace and stability in the region and create mechanisms within the region for the prevention, management and resolution of inter-State and intra-State conflicts through dialogue;
• Mobilize resources for the implementation of emergency, short-term, medium-term and long-term programmes within the framework of regional cooperation;
• Facilitate, promote and strengthen cooperation in research development and application in science and technology.
• Provide capacity building and training at regional and national levels; and
• Generation and dissemination of development information in the region
The functions of IGAD are executed through four hierarchical policy organs namely: The Assembly of Heads of State and Government, The Council of Ministers, The Committee of Ambassadors, and the Secretariat. Additionally, there are various IGAD specialized agencies and liaison offices, working on different thematic issues, which are located in Member States. IGAD Programmes and activities are guided by a Regional Strategy as well as other complementary policy frameworks and instruments.
Promotion of gender equality and women’s empowerment is underscored as a critical imperative for fostering resilience, regional integration and peace for sustainable development in the region. The IGAD Regional Strategy identifies gender as one of the priority cross-cutting policy themes to be mainstreamed in all institutional instruments, programmes and undertakings at all levels. A Gender Programme at the IGAD Secretariat in Djibouti forms the institutional framework that promotes gender equality and women’s empowerment in activities and programmes of the organization, internally and in member states.
Additionally, activities of the Gender Programme are guided by an Institutional Gender Policy, IGAD Gender Strategy (2016-2020), related action plans as well as commitments on gender equality and women’s empowerment including among others the United Nations Convention on Elimination of All forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW), the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights on the Human Rights of Women in Africa, the African Union Gender Policy and United Nations Security Council Resolutions 1325 and 1820, and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Given the wide scope and demands of promoting gender equality and women’s empowerment, IGAD Secretariat requires the services an Intern (Gender Specialist) to learn from the organisation’s gender policy and practice, and contribute to strengthening service delivery in the realm of gender equality and women’s empowerment. The main purpose of the Internship placement in the IGAD Gender Programme is to provide programmatic and technical support to the Gender Affairs Programme Manager in the promotion of gender equality and women’s empowerment IGAD region.
2.0 Key Responsibilities and Functions of the Gender Programme Intern
The key responsibilities and functions of the Intern are in four broad areas and shall be carried out in support of the overall work plan of the Gender Programme for the year 2020. These shall include the following:
2.1 Carry out gender analysis of policies, programmes and reports
• Review and analyze relevant IGAD strategies, projects and reports to identify critical gender issues and produce policy briefs with recommendations to strengthen attention to gender issues
• Review consultancy/ project proposals and performance reports to provide comments on gender equality and women’s empowerment aspects
2.2 Provide substantive inputs into the conceptualization and execution of gender oriented strategies programmes, projects and activities.
• Prepare and/or make inputs into concept notes and budgets for activities of the Gender Programme
• Contribute to preparation of Terms of Reference for consultancies under the Gender Programme and further input into TORs of other programmes to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment
• Support Organization, coordination and implementation of planned activities of the Gender Programme
• Contribute to drafting of funding proposals/ concept notes of the Gender Programme
2.3 Contribute to the strengthening of monitoring and evaluation of gender equality and women’s empowerment in IGAD region
• Prepare activity and input into quarterly and annual performance reports of the Gender Programme
2.4 Contribute to knowledge and skills enhancement on gender equality and women’s empowerment through IGAD’s core programme areas
• Operationalize the knowledge management for gender mainstreaming framework and coordinate activities of the Community of Practice on Gender Equality
• Participate in relevant activities of IGAD to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment
• Perform other related duties and assignments as and when required.
3.0 Key Outputs/ Deliverables
The key deliverables of the Gender Programme Intern shall include the following:
i) At least two policy briefs/ issues papers on gender perspectives in IGAD’s programmes produced
ii) Technical proposals and consultancy reports for activities under the gender workplan for 2020 reviewed and comments/ inputs made
iii) Planned activities in support of South Sudanese women to participate in peace building and conflict resolution processes implemented and reports produced
iv) Concept Notes for strengthening IGAD Women, Peace and Security Forum developed
v) Concept Notes for strengthening Gender and Resilience Working Group developed
vi) Community of Practice on Knowledge Management for Gender Mainstreaming operationalized
vii) Reports on Gender Programme activities produced
4.0 Required competencies
The required competencies of the Gender Programme Intern are:
i) University Degree in gender studies, social sciences, humanities or equivalent.
ii) Excellent contextual, analytical, writing and oral communication skills
iii) Good team playing qualities/experience
iv) Computer literacy skills, especially the use of word processing, Excel and power point.
v) Ability to work in a diverse socio-cultural environment
vi) Familiarity with situation, developments and trends in gender equality and women’s empowerment in IGAD region, Africa and globally.