The European Universities Initiative is an integral part in creating the European Education Are by 2025. The initiative was started in the December 2017 Gothenburg Summit in which it was decided to create around 20 European Universities networks by 2024.
The aims of the European Universities Initiative are
- to promote European values and identity
- to strengthen the quality, performance, attractiveness and international competitiveness of European higher education.
Additionally, European Universities are expected to carry out high quality education and research and act as models of good practice for other higher education institutions.
Characteristics of European Universities in 2025:
- A joint long-term strategy to improve education, research and innovations
- A European inter-university campus in which mobility is embedded in all degree levels; students can integrate studies in other higher education institutions in their degree (the aim is that 50% of the students benefit from mobility)
- High-quality multi-disciplinary curricula that integrate innovative pedagogy
- Seamless teacher, researcher and other staff mobility within European Universities
- Multi-disciplinary teams that work to solve social challenges and to create European knowledge